New Years Detox Smoothie
Published 10:11 pm Sunday, January 7, 2024
For all who made New Year’s resolutions to live and eat healthier, here is the perfect detox smoothie to get you on the right foot! The ingredients in this smoothie are loaded with nutrients, and in turn, should help to support your body’s natural detox organs, including the kidneys, liver and skin. Created by Megan Gilmore, the recipe is loaded with fiber that will help keep you feeling full and satisfied, without a lethargic or sluggish feeling that can come from eating something less nutritious.
Here are some of the detox benefits of the ingredients:
- Green Apple: This particular apple is lower in sugar than the red variety in general, and may help in weight loss by making you feel fuller longer.
- Pineapple: Rich in antioxidants, this tropical fruit also contains a protein digesting enzyme that helps to boost immunity and lower inflammation in the body.
- Banana: Bananas are a great source of potassium, and potassium-rich diets help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Ginger: Ginger is considered to have anti-inflammatory effects in the body and may help to lower fasting blood sugar levels.
- Spinach: This leafy green contains powerful plant compounds and antioxidants that promote eye health and decrease the risk of cancer.
- Cilantro: This fresh herb combats against heavy metal toxicity, which is why it’s so commonly added to detox drinks and recipes.
- Lime: Limes are loaded with antioxidants and are a great source of vitamin C, and have been shown to increase the production of white blood cells.
Email newsletter signup
- 1/2 cup water (or orange juice)
- 1 green apple
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Small handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve right away.
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, I recommend blending the spinach, cilantro, and ginger with the water first, to help break them down completely. Then add in the fruit and lime juice, and blend again.
Feel free to make any substitutions that you’d like too in this recipe. Parsley is a good alternative for the cilantro, and frozen mango works as a good swap for pineapple. If you don’t care for bananas in a smoothie, try using 1/4 of an avocado instead to add creaminess.