County awarded grant for emergency food, shelter programs
Published 5:00 pm Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Lowndes County has been awarded federal funds made available through the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency under the Emergency Food and Shelter National Board Program.
The county has been chosen to receive $5,994 to supplement emergency food and shelter programs in the county.
The Local Board will determine how the funds awarded to Lowndes County are to be distributed among the Emergency Food and Shelter programs run by local service agencies in the area.
The Local Board is responsible for recommending agencies to receive these funds and any additional funds made available under this program.
Under the terms of the grant, local agencies chosen to receive funds must:
• Be private voluntary non-profits or unites of government
• Be eligible to receive federal funds
• Have an accounting system
• Practice nondiscrimination
• Have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs
• And if they are a private voluntary organization, have a voluntary board.
Qualifying agencies are urged to apply.
Public or private voluntary agencies interested in applying for Emergency Food and Shelter program funds must apply in writing to Catha Peterson at 489 Tuskeena Street East, Hayneville, AL 36040.
Deadline for letters of interest is March 31, 2015.