Fire marshal: Fire likely electrical

Published 6:59 pm Wednesday, June 26, 2013

By Fred Guarino

The Lowndes Signal


State Fire Marshal Edward S. Paulk said Tuesday that while the cause of a fire that destroyed an entire section of a multi-business complex in the Hayneville Strip Shopping Plaza on June 11 has not been precisely determined.

“We feel like there is an electrical cause to the fire,” he said.

Paulk said two electrical engineers are trying to determine if it was caused from a “power spike” or “a wiring issue or what.”

Paulk stated early on, “We’ve concluded that it’s going to be an accidental fire.”

He confirmed Tuesday that the fire is not considered arson.

Subway, ALFA and Lowndes County’s Family Guidance Center were among the businesses destroyed.

Fire Chief Lamar Hall of the Burkville Volunteer Fire Department confirmed the Hayneville Volunteer Fire Department responded to the four-alarm fire sometime around 11:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 11.

Hall said Burkville Volunteer fire units and Lowndesboro Volunteer fire units provided personnel and apparatus, and the Mosses Volunteer Fire Department sent manpower to scene.