BOE looks at fastpitch softball for Central
Published 5:29 pm Friday, June 17, 2011
By Fred Guarino
The Lowndes Signal
Discussion of a possible fastpitch softball program for Central High highlighted the Lowndes County Board of Education meeting Thursday night.
Following a presentation by Elizabeth Mallard for a fastpitch softball program in Lowndes County for Central High, School Superintendent Dr. Daniel Boyd said he would look into the matter.
Email newsletter signup
Mallard, a coach in the Suburban West League, a native of Lowndes County and a graduate of Central High, appeared before the board to pitch a fast pitch softball team for Central High.
She told the board she had catcher’s equipment, gloves, bats and softball uniforms, and all she is asking for is transportation. She said she even had permission to use the Catoma fields as a home base.
“We have a lot of talent here. Our girls have been playing since T-ball, and they’re good…. All I’m asking for these girls is a chance because they are good enough to get scholarships. It’s all about their future… And they need that,” said Mallard.
She said she wanted to get the team started for this next school term, but said she did not have to be the coach. She also said she would be there for any fund-raising.
Boyd said a softball schedule could be built and did not see a problem if only transportation was required, but it would be a program strictly for Central High.
However, Board member Dr. Denise Davis-Maye raised Title IX requirement questions. Boyd said he would have check on the legal part to make sure and would let Mallard know.
Boyd reported notification of financial assistance from the Department of Health and Human Services for the coming year for Head Start program.
He also announced the child nutrition program received grant of $65,000. Boyd gave credit to Assistant School Superintendent Jason Burroughs for getting that grant.
The board took action, however, to amend its budget reflecting 3 percent proration by the state.
The total school system budget prior to the amendment approved by the board Thursday was $27,934,564.58, according to Marc Nicholas, Lowndes County School System’s chief officer of business and fiscal affairs.
He said the proration will result in a loss of a $338,000 in state funds.
In the absence of the Rev. Ben Davis, the board also took the following actions:
- Approved the agenda for the meeting.
- Approved the minutes of the May 12 and May 23 meetings.
Approved action items including:
- Contracts between the board and Information Transport Solutions Inc. (equipment, programming, analytical services and training, Teacher Incentive Program; Central Alabama Basketball Officials Association (officials, Calhoun High School home basketball games, summer of 2011); Mattisa A. Moorer (transportation services, extended school year student) and (support services, extended school year student); Ray Jones (reduction of deficiencies and improvement of shop procedures, Transportation Department); Carr, Riggs & Ingram LLC (audit of Head Start Program); Holt McDougal/Mifflin Harcourt (professional development, select employees); ITS (professional development, select employees); Riverside Publishing Corporation Data Director (professional development select employees); STI (professional development, select employees),
- Agreements between: Owner-board and architect-Barganier Davis Sims Architects Associated (new bleachers for Central High gym); the board and Department of Examiners of Public Accounts (audit of FY2010 federal assistance).
- Memorandums of understanding between the board and the Alabama State Department of Education (Advanced Placement model, Calhoun School); (Art in Every Classroom model, Hayneville Middle School and Lowndes County Middle School); Making Middle Grades Work model, Hayneville Middle School and Lowndes County Middle School).
- Approved annual maintenance agreements between the board and Nohab (copiers, Head Start Program) Central Center, Fort Deposit Center and Jackson-Stele Center.
- Membership Renewal 2011-2012 Alabama Council of School Board Attorneys.
- Bids, contractor, new Central High School field house, contractor new bleachers for Central High School gym.
- April 2011 financial statement for the Head Start Program.
- Revenues and expenditures report, financial statement and payroll register April 2011.
- Personnel report.
- Nominations to the Lowndes County Board of Equalization were deleted and deferred until July.
- The next meeting will be July 21, 2011 at the central office.