Family displaced after fire

Published 7:20 am Wednesday, July 21, 2010

By Eason Franklin
The Lowndes Signal

An apartment fire has left one juvenile facing possible charges and a family displaced from their home.

The fire was reported around 10:30 a.m. July 18 at the Mosses Sub-division apartments on Williams Ct. after an unattended stove erupted into a kitchen fire, according to Mosses Police Chief Jimmy Harris.

Email newsletter signup

“The mother told the child they could not cook,” said Harris. “The child went outside to play and left the stove on.”

Police are trying to charge a 12-year-old juvenile with arson in the third degree after he reportedly admitted to leaving the stove on, according to Harris.

The mother of the child is working to relocate to another apartment due to extensive fire and smoke damage to her apartment.

After an investigation by Harris and Mosses Volunteer Fire Department Deputy Chief Eric Hall, a pan of grease was determined to be the cause of the blaze. No one was hurt in the fire.